Thursday 26 November 2009

Lula Magazine club at R D Franks


I've only just gotten around to posting this despite it happening last week, but I attended a 'Lula magazine club' evening at R D Franks, an amazing magazine shop in London.
Apparantly they have held the magazine club before for other magazines like ACNE paper, but I was personally tempted by a leaflet in store promising Lula and cake. Mmm.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I turned up by myself (due to my friends being unable to make it at the last minute) and there was a few other girls and the odd guy hanging around. There were also cute fair banners up everywhere. At this point I still wasn't exactly sure what the 'magazine club' entailed, but more people were arriving by the minute, so I browsed the magazines (though really, I didn't need much excuse!). I saw chairs being arranged in a big circle, and not being a massive fan of public speaking I almost scarpered there and then, imagining being interrogated/ asked the killer question 'so let's go around the circle and tell us a little about yourself..?'

NO.

Anyway the woman in charge seemed really nice so I decided to stick around to see what was going on. She also had a really cute luella top on (!).
We were all asked to sit and half of me was still wondering if it had been a good idea. But once we all started talking I actually started having loads of fun.
Because my Uni is small, it was really interesting to hear what some people outside my usual network had to say. As Lula is my favourite magazine I mostly sat back and listened to what everyone had to say as I already have a pretty set opinion on the magazine (a.k.a l♥ve!).

We talked about everything from how the magazine is laid out and its aesthetics to the controversial leaving of Becky Smith (founder and former creative director of Lula) to start Twin magazine. Scandelous!

Then of course the cake came out and the rest was history!

I apologise for my shoddy documenting, I didn't want to seem like I was stalking any of the people by taking too many pictures! I was also next to a book case and the group was actually a lot bigger than it looks!







( via cheekweekly and my own)

//Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, I want to hear it !